Montana Legal Questions - Ask a queston

If a used car dealer knowingly charges you late payment fees on payments that were not late and damages your credit value. Do I have legal civil recourse against him for those damages. I have already sent a complaint to the local Better Business Buearu in his area. I do have documented evidence from my Bank to prove this. I have paid off the contract.

← Back to Questions

October 7, 2011, 10:04 am


If a used car dealer is knowingly charging you late payments on payments that were not late, you may have a cause of action against it for violations of the Fair Debt Collection Practices Act, Fair Credit Reporting Act and other causes under state law. You may be awarded up to $1,000.00 plus attorney's fees for each violation.  From a practical standpoint, if you believe a creditor has inaccurately reported information to the credit reporting agencies, you should contact the credit reporting agency immediately to dispute the information.   If you would like to further discuss your case, please call our offices at (406) 755-6828 for a free confidential case evaluation. 
Alex Evans

Back to Top